SMSS FORUM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 06:56:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed!
7,105 Posts in 1,604 Topics by 247 Members
Latest Member: Loco Joe
* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  SMSS FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  SMSS Discussion
| | |-+  Ruger OM Bisley Vaquero's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ruger OM Bisley Vaquero's  (Read 2741 times)
Gringo
Ranch Hand

« on: February 25, 2009, 06:27:54 PM »

I am just getting started into CAS so I am not quite up to speed on all of the rules. I have two OM Bisley Vaqueros. Are they illegal to shoot and if so is it because of the frame or hammer or both? What modifications would make them legal? Also I need some work done to my 1894 Marlin does anyone have the number for a good gunsmith in North East TN?
TioDon
Cattle Baron

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:10:11 PM »

Howdy,& Welcome,well,you're started,the Bisley is OKKK,you don't have to do anything to them to shoot.
Where are you going to call your home shooting club,,,Bulls Gap,Oak Ridge,,,or both Huh?
The one person that I only let work on my guns is Curly Bill,,,,in Bulls Gap area I don't know Huh??

Tio Don

It's faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,& more moneyyyy 

Tom T. Hall        song
Kid Ziggy
Members Only

RO II, Wild Bunch RO

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:21:29 AM »

Welcome...Ron Snover is in Greeneville, TN has a good reputation.   

Widdowmaker is one of our local club members (SMSS).  He is not a gunsmith but he is pretty good with Marlins!  You might have a look at his and go from there.

Kid Ziggy
Jedi Gun Fighter #111
Gringo
Ranch Hand

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:05:43 PM »

Thanks Pards, I was concerned about not being able to shoot the Bisleys.  I'm glad they conform to the rules. I will probalby shoot at Bulls Gap mostly. I visited their February match, they are a nice bunch of folks, and I live in Kingsport.

From what I can tell the 1873 rifle's action seems more dependable than the marlin style. My marlin likes 357's but jams up on 38's. Does anyone shoot the Henry Big Boy? How reliable is their action?
TN Mongo
Trailboss

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:38:29 PM »

Gringo,

IMHO the Henry Big Boy is a well made rifle but does not function well for our game. 

Most cowboy shooters shoot either a Marlin , 1873 or an 1866.  Some shooters also shoot the 1892 Winchesters. 

Marlins tend to be length sensitive (OAL of the loaded cartridge).  Most of them like an OAL of at least 1.5.  There are a number of bullets that allow you to load a .38 to that length, or you can use a .357.  Curly Bill or Ron Snover are excellent gunsmiths and good guys.  You can slick up a Marlin for a smaller investment, but a tuned 1873 Winchester with a short stroke kit his a thing of joy.  The "1873 joy" comes with a higher price tag for the gun and the required work.

If I were you, I would get the Marlin slicked up for now and you can look at a 1873 later.  Don't overlook putting spring kits in your Rugers.  This is not expensive and will make a world of difference.  You are starting the game with great pistols, I have two pair of them.
Randy Saint Eagle
Cattle Baron

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:06:17 AM »

Gringo, welcome, Longhunter sells 15lb springs for Rugers $5.00 ea. $3.95 shipping, I would also get the 1 piece firing pin and a stainless follower if you haven't already. I run 158 gr. RNFP through my Marlin and they work fine. I load to an AOL of 1.53, the crimp is just above the grease groove. I can't find a stainless magazine spring for a .38, but I'm sure someone makes one.

Before you buy many new guns you need to decide what Category you want to shoot in, and gun requirements for that Category. Also what you like to shoot. I bought several guns when I started, just to find out I didn't really like them or they  were not legal for the Category I wanted to shoot in.

Most any shooter will let you try their guns to see how you like them.

May all your bangs end with a "Clang"

Randy
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:08:34 AM by Randy Saint Eagle » Logged
Gringo
Ranch Hand

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 05:54:15 PM »

Excellent advise from Randy and Mongo. Thanks!

My particular Marlin is the 1894CS which has a capacity of 9 rounds in 357. Are there after market mag tube components needed to extend the capacity to 10 rounds?
TN Mongo
Trailboss

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 03:42:36 PM »

Contact Longhunter at www.longhunt.com about your Marlin.  Many consider him the top Marlin gunsmith in the country.  If anyone would know, he would.  He does great work at a fair price.
Dusty Camino
Trailboss

If you ring that steel, ring it like you mean it!

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »

Welcome Gringo!

You were asking some questions about your Marlin 1894. I have a Marlin .38/.357, with a 20 barrel. I guess I am lucky that mine works OK with .38s.

If your rifle has a 20 barrel and the magazine tube goes to the end of the barrel I think it should hold 10 .357s. I have never shot .357s in mine. But I know the Marlin .45 Colt with a 20 barrel will hold 10 rounds and .45s are slightly longer than .357s. Is it possible you have a magazine follower or spring that is a little too long or the spring is not seated in the follower correctly? You might want to check the length of your ammo. I think the maximum overall length should be 1.590. Also you might want to take the spring out and look down the tube for critters and the like.[Watch that spring! They can travel fast, hard and far].The Marlins with 24 barrels had magazine plugs to limit them to 10 rounds for Cowboy use.

It just seems that a rifle made for Cowboy shooting would hold the maximum number of rounds permitted and not one less.

Just some thoughts.

Welcome to Cowboy Shooting

Dusty

Dusty Camino

"I'm re-tired, re-lieved, and re-joicin'" Rooster Cogburn
TN Mongo
Trailboss

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:07:41 AM »

Good point Dusty!  Simply changing your spring and follower (to replacements made for competition - Stainless Steel is the best) could do the trick.  Magazine tubes are also notorious for getting rusty and dirty.  It's worth checking out.
Dusty Camino
Trailboss

If you ring that steel, ring it like you mean it!

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »

Gringo and Mongo,

Well, it's hard to tell everyone when you make a mistake, but I have. After some research I see that Gringo's rifle has a 18 1/2" barrel.  So that cuts 1 round off the capacity and it holds only 9 rounds. I thought the "CS" might stand for Cowboy Special, but it must stand for "Carbine something" . But a magazine tube can gather a bunch of junk and needs to be cleaned at times. Well, I put my 2 cents in, but I need to take it back.

I kinda feel like "Ol' Mose".

There once was a Cowboy named Mose,
That everyone called "3 Toes",
     He'd holstered his gun
     Empty,but 1,
And shot off 2 of his toes.

Dusty

Dusty Camino

"I'm re-tired, re-lieved, and re-joicin'" Rooster Cogburn
Gringo
Ranch Hand

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 05:55:02 PM »

Yes, it is the 18 1/2 barrel. I saw where Brownells offers springs and plugs specifically for 10 rounds but those may be to limit the amount of rounds on longer guns instead of increasing the capacity of shorter guns.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: